How To Live Frugally in the Big City
There are plenty of great opportunities in big cities across the country. However, the rent can be astronomical. For instance, the average rent in San Francisco is $3,600 while even its neighboring city of Sacramento has an average rent exceeding $900 monthly.
You may wonder how anyone can live frugally in these areas, but the truth is there are plenty of ways to save money and live comfortably.[Tweet “Learn Ways to Save money & live comfortably…”]
Find Free Entertainment
The great thing about big cities is that there are plenty of free entertainment options. From parks to museums, there are a number of ways to spend your time without spending a lot of money.
Walk or Use Public Transportation
Spending money on Ubers and taxis to get around can cost a lot of money over time. If your destination is not too far away, then consider walking. Taking the bus or subway only costs a dollar or two, and you will be doing your part for the environment.
Have Your Hobbies Bring in Side Income
No matter what your hobby is, there may be a way for you to make extra money off it. If you enjoy writing, then consider getting into freelance blogging. If you are more interested in photography or crafting, then there are a number of ways to earn money through side gigs.
Consider Going Out of Your Comfort Zone
You may want an apartment all to yourself, but you can save a lot of money if you live with a roommate. Additionally, you may like having a gym membership, but you can save over $100 a year by canceling it and finding other ways to work out.
There are likely plenty of jogging paths in your area, or you could try biking to work every morning.
Develop a Budgeting Plan
The goal to frugal living is to actually know where your money goes every month. You can save a lot of money by only spending cash when you go to the mall.
Once you know where your money goes to, you can identify where you cut back. If there are any subscriptions you do not really use, then cancel them before they start adding up.
There are plenty of ways to save money even if you live in a big city. You simply need to get creative, and saving even a little bit each month can add up over the course of a year.
Do not resign yourself to living paycheck to paycheck when you can live far more comfortably.
Identity Magazine is all about guiding women to discover their powers of Self-Acceptance, Appreciation, and Personal Achievement. We ask that every contributor and expert answer the Identity 5 questions in keeping with our theme. Their answers can be random and in the moment or they can be aligned with the current article they have written. In that way, and as a team, we hope to encourage and motivate each other, thus inspiring you to Get All A’s.
1. What have you accepted within your life, physically and/or mentally? Additionally, what are you still working on accepting? Now, we’re talking about resignation, rather stepping into, embraced, and owned.
That the internet isn’t perfect.
2. What have you learned to appreciate about yourself and/or within your life, physically and mentally? On the other hand OR in contrast, are there elements of who you are that you’re still working on appreciating?
I appreciate my ability to freelance.
3. What is one of your most rewarding achievements in life? Tell us not only what makes YOU most proud but also share the goals and dreams that you still have.
Earning an income with internet marketing.
4. Of course, we all have imperfections, or so we think. In truth, we are all perfectly imperfect. What are your not-so-perfect ways? Likewise, what imperfections and quirks create who you are–your Identity?
I guess, I have many, but embrace them.
5. “I Love My…” is an outlet for you to appreciate and express all the positive traits that make you…well…YOU! In fact, sharing what you love about yourself will make you smile, feel empowered, and uplift your spirit and soul. (We assure you!) Therefore, Identity challenges you to complete the phrase “I Love My…?”
I love my life and career.