4 Technologies That Will Be Mainstream in E-Commerce in 10 Years
Despite existing for more than 20 years, the e-commerce industry is still quickly evolving. Further, new technologies are continually being introduced to help alleviate pain points experienced by consumers as well as sellers. Toward that end, we estimate these four technologies will be mainstream in e-commerce in 10 years.
Shipping is a difficult process experienced by every e-commerce entrepreneur. It’s costly and time consuming. Not to mention that customers are more anxious for e-stores offering quick shipping than ever before. However, according to Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos, delivery drones will one day be as common as mail trucks. It’s hypothesized that drone delivery will work hand in hand with local warehousing to deliver small items on the fly, so to speak. This will also introduce quick deliveries to rural areas, which are currently difficult to serve.
Another difficulty ever present in e-commerce is the customer’s inability to examine goods with their own eye before purchase. This is especially troublesome for online clothing stores, as sizing errors are one of the leading causes of returns. Further, back and forth shipping is very expensive.
While e-stores currently rely on high-def images and videos to demonstrate products, augmented reality will allow future shoppers to overlay virtual representations of items over real-world spaces.
A shopper will be able to view virtual clothing sizes, or sample furniture and decor in their own living room. This will give customers a better way to consider purchases.
Improved AI & Customer Analytics
The most propitious technologies of our modern era revolve around collecting, deciphering and leveraging data. As web users move across cyberspace, their habits and preferences are noted to suggest products and services that might be of interest to them. This is known as customer analytics. While there are some concerns around privacy, the real goal is to deliver a better and more personalized shopping experience. This will continue to evolve as we move into the next decade.[Tweet “The most propitious technologies of our modern era revolve around collecting, deciphering & leveraging data.”]
Developments will include improved artificial intelligence (AI) for customer service requests or automatically suggesting items the user might want. Imagine an AI personal shopping assistant helping customers find the best products for their needs. This will be a boon for discerning consumers and for future sellers who will benefit from the increased customer satisfaction.
As more and more small business e-commerce entrepreneurs enter the market, there will likely be more software as service providers like Shopify and BigCommerce. These provide easy entry points for merchants considering how to make an ecommerce website. This means even more small business owners will carve out a share of the market and become adept at serving specific niches.
Do you have any predictions for ecommerce in the next decade?
Are there any technologies we missed?
Tell us in the comments below.
Identity Magazine is all about guiding women to discover their powers of Self-Acceptance, Appreciation, and Personal Achievement. We ask that every contributor and expert answer the Identity 5 questions in keeping with our theme. Their answers can be random and in the moment or they can be aligned with the current article they have written. In that way, and as a team, we hope to encourage and motivate each other, thus inspiring you to Get All A’s.
1. What have you accepted within your life, physically and/or mentally? Additionally, what are you still working on accepting? Now, we’re talking about resignation, rather stepping into, embraced, and owned.
The challenging life of Entrepreneurship
2. What have you learned to appreciate about yourself and/or within your life, physically and mentally? On the other hand OR in contrast, are there elements of who you are that you’re still working on appreciating?
I appreciate my work and the opportunity to collaborate with others.
3. What is one of your most rewarding achievements in life? Tell us not only what makes YOU most proud but also share the goals and dreams that you still have.
Building my own career.
4. Of course, we all have imperfections, or so we think. In truth, we are all perfectly imperfect. What are your not-so-perfect ways? Likewise, what imperfections and quirks create who you are–your Identity?
My laugh is one of a kind.
5. “I Love My…” is an outlet for you to appreciate and express all the positive traits that make you…well…YOU! In fact, sharing what you love about yourself will make you smile, feel empowered, and uplift your spirit and soul. (We assure you!) Therefore, Identity challenges you to complete the phrase “I Love My…?”
I love my career and my life.